Most people are used to making traditional videos, with a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or digital camera, so one might ask themselves: ‘Why should I make 360° videos, since I can also make ordinary videos?’
This is a valid question. It is also not at all the intention to replace all traditional videos with 360°-videos. Traditional videos certainly have their value, but in certain situations 360°-videos can offer a clear added value. Some arguments:
- It is possible to film a full 360°-environment, without constantly pointing or moving the camera to a certain perspective.
- It is perfectly possible to make a 360°-video on your own, as you can simply place the 360° camera in a surrounding and then move freely through the room, so no one is needed to follow the designer back and forth with the camera.
- Users can immediately enter a completely new world, without physical relocation.
- Using a VR headset, it will feel as if the 360° environment is real. So there is a high degree of authenticity and immersion, because a virtual version of the reality is created.
- A user can make himself/ herself familiar in a completely unfamiliar environment.
- It is always a safe, yet very authentic and realistic environment. There are various environments that are not accessible for the average person, such as Clean Rooms, labs, archaeological excavations, etc.
- The 360°-environment can always be called up and revisited.